Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Cheddar Shepard's Pie

St. Patty's Day is right around the corner. We are headed to Hilton Head to visit my grandparent's this weekend. My Grandpa, Mom, and I are going to run in a Shamrock 5K on Saturday- so I am feeling in the spirit! Ivan doesn't like veggies AT ALL so I couldn't make a corned beef and cabbage dish... so my second thought ( which I have never made or eaten) was Shepard's Pie! Here is my creation: I was surprised how much we both enjoyed this dish and are excited for a. leftovers and b. to make and eat it again! :)


 
CHEDDAR SHEPARDS PIE

  --------------INGREDIENTS-----------------



1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 onion, diced
2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 can tomato paste
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 packet brown gravy
1 cup of water
1 1/2 cups corn
1 1/2 cups peas
4 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
Salt and pepper
1/2-teaspoon garlic powder
5 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
1/2 stick of butter
5 ounces cheddar cheese
3 ounces cream cheese
3 tablespoons fresh chives



---------PREPARATION--------

In a large pot of salted water boil potatoes.


Cook the onion and garlic. Add ground beef, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Stir in tomato paste, and then pour in the brown gravy mix with one cup of warm water. Stir. Add Worcestershire sauce.

Cook for 7 minutes. Turn stove off and add the corn and peas mix and set aside.

Drain potatoes and add butter, cream cheese, cheese and chives. Mix.

Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Place meat on the bottom of a baking dish and place the potatoes on top and bake for 20 minutes.