Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Coconut Macaroons




My Mom loves macaroons.  When she told me she was driving down to SC to  bring me 2 of her chairs that she didn't need after a living room makeover, I thought the least I could do was bake her a treat :)

                                Coconut Macaroons

--------------INGREDIENTS-----------------

3 C unsweetened shredded coconut
Homemade Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk (recipe below)
1 Tbsp. Vanilla
Pinch of Salt
3 Oz dark chocolate


---------PREPARATION--------

Preheat oven to 300 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Combine all of the ingredients, less the chocolate, and stir.

Drop the batter onto the baking sheet and bake for 20-03 minutes or until macaroons are lightly golden

Remove the macaroons from baking sheet and allow them to cool completely before dipping them in chocolate.

Melt 3 oz. of dark chocolate on the stove or in the microwave. Dip each macaroon in the chocolate, and place on wax paper.

I made mine at night, so once I finished; I placed the macaroons in the fridge so they could completely harden completely.

.....................

                                                  Coconut Milk

--------------INGREDIENTS-----------------

For the coconut milk:
1 14 oz. Can Full-Fat Coconut Milk
1/4 C Honey

---------PREPARATION--------


Pour the coconut milk into a saucepan and heat until boiling for 5 minutes.

Reduce the heat to simmer and add honey.

Simmer for 30-45 minutes or until the liquid has reduced to about half.

Remove from heat and allow liquid to completely cool before you use.

........................


 If every macaroon tasted like these, they would be one of my favorite desserts. 

The coconut milk gives these such an amazing flavor! 


I used good shredded coconut and baker's melting chocolate which I think added to the flavor as well. 

I hope you enjoy these Mom!!!