Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Chicken Bog


Ivan's first memories of chicken bog (which I had never even heard before I met him) was as a child. His best friend's mother would make the boys chicken bog when he would stay over for dinner. When I did some research on how to prepare it, I thought to myself... well this is not a pretty meal. It reminds me a lot of gumbo. I really like a good gumbo- but it is not the most beautiful dish to look at. Chicken bog is the same.. It is so simple to make, yet extremely flavorful. Because you cook the rice in the same water as you previously cooked the chicken, the flavors absorb throughout the entire dish. If you have not made this before- I highly recommend you try it. You  will not be disappointed, I promise!



CHICKEN BOG
--------------INGREDIENTS------------

1 pound of skinless chicken breasts, whole
1 pound of smoked sausage, cut in 1/2 in
1/4 cup butter
1/8 of a red pepper, minced
1 Onion, minced
2 tsp of salt and pepper
1 clove of minced garlic
3 bay leaves
8 cups of water
3 cups of uncooked white rice

---------PREPARATION--------

Place the chicken, sausage, butter, spices (garlic, salt, pepper,red pepper, onion, bay leaves), and water in a stock pot.

Boil. Cover lid and cook for 25 minutes.

Remove chicken from the stock pot. Let the chicken cool, and shred the chicken with two forks.

Add the rice and bring to boil for 10 minutes. Keep the cover on and let the sausage and rice simmer for 10 minutes.

Add the chicken back to the pot and stir.