Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Lemon and Herb Roasted Chicken served over Mashed Potatoes


I rarely eat chicken off the bone. There is something about picking out bones while I eat that doesn't always sit well with me. When I saw these huge split chicken breasts at the store, I just knew I could make it work. I thought that roasting the chicken with lemon and herbs and serving it over mashed potatoes would be a yummy and hearty dinner. With some spanish flare (sazon), this chicken was moist when I cut into it yet the skin had the perfect crunch.




LEMON AND HERB ROASTED CHICKEN

--------------INGREDIENTS-----------------

2 Split Chicken Breasts
Olive Oil
3 Large Lemons, sliced
1 Large Onion, sliced
5 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Package of Sazon seasoning
Fresh Parsley
Fresh Thyme
Fresh Rosemary
Salt
Pepper
1/4 C Chicken Stock

---------PREPARATION--------

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add olive oil to the bottom of a roasting pan and place the chicken in the pan. Top the chicken with sazon seasoning, followed by garlic, thyme, rosemary, and parsley (you can chop these up anyway you prefer.)  Make sure to season the chicken well. I like to rub as much of the seasoning into the skin and crevices to ensure that each bite is flavorful. The fresh herbs will help create a balanced flavor throughout.

Place your sliced onions in the roasting pan and add a little more olive oil as well as your chicken stock. Top the roasting pan off with your sliced lemons.

Cook the chicken for 1 hour, or until the skin is crispy. If you have a meat thermometer - the temp on the chicken should be at 180 degrees.

You have many options for sides but I prefer potatoes. You can add yukon gold potatoes to your roasting pan if you wish or even make some creamy mashed potatoes.

Enjoy!